Last updated on September 8th, 2018 at 03:02 am
O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Nursing/Nursing Science; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
- JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty/School/College of Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Science.
- Probable Degree type – [M.B.B.S., MB.B.Ch.B., B.D.S., B.Ch.D., Pharm.B, B.SC]
The admission requirement to study Nursing/Nursing Science in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for Nursing/Nursing Science?
The subjects needed to study Nursing/Nursing Science in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Nursing/Nursing Science must include:
- English Language
- A trade subject
Nursing is a healthcare branch focused, not on direct medical techniques, but on the care of individuals, families, and communities who are unwell or in need of help, so they may maintain health and quality of life. If hospitals were a film set, the doctors and surgeons would be the actors and actresses, while nurses would be the lighting and make-up – you may think the stars could do a job without them, but really they’d be stuck.
You learn a complete set of medical skills. Think nursing is all about sticking needles in arms? You’re wrong. Your training spans health science, social science, technology and theory. Better get revising. Having all the problems of the patients – and the doctors – thrown at you at once is a challenge, but many nurses say this is what they thrive on. If you like variety and a job that keeps you on your toes, this is for you.
Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science is one of the known course that deals with the management of human health and its immediate environment with or without a physician. Females have been known to major in this course. It is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life. Nurses may be differentiated from other health care providers by their approach to patient care, training, and scope of practice.
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subject needed) for Nursing/Nursing Science?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for Nursing/Nursing Science are
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study Nursing/Nursing Science?
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes from Biology/Zoology, Chemistry and Physics plus 3 other ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language.
(ii) NRN or its approved equivalent plus five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language and one Science subjects chosen from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene, Health Science, Further Mathematics and General Science.
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for Nursing/Nursing Science, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate. Do you know which Universities in Nigeria offer Nursing/Nursing Science? Before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
See useful guides on how to choose a course and university
List of Nigeria Universities offering Nursing/Nursing Science include:
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) Click to read conditions
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki Click to read conditions
- University of Ibadan (UI) Click to read conditions
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) Click to read conditions
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) (registered nurse only)
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
At the end of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply leadership and informatics concepts in decision making to promote patient safety and quality care.
- Use evidence based on the sciences, humanities, and research to guide nursing practice across the health-illness continuum in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Evaluate the implications of policy on issues of access, equity, affordability, and social justice in healthcare delivery including the health of vulnerable populations and healthcare disparities.
- Demonstrate effective communication and collaboration skills to improve patient outcomes.
- Implement individual and population-focused interventions to promote health and to prevent and manage disease and injuries.
- Exhibit accountability for personal and professional behaviours in accordance with standards of moral, ethical, and legal conduct with a commitment to continuous professional development.
- Provide patient-centred nursing care based on a comprehensive and focused health assessment across the lifespan using sound clinical judgment as well as developmentally and culturally appropriate approaches
Where can I work with a Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Nursing/Nursing Science. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating. Job areas Nursing/Nursing Students include, as well as the traditional adult nurse, as a home visitor, nursing those with learning disabilities or mental health issues, midwifery, paramedic, paediatrician, counsellor, or social worker.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Nursing/Nursing Science have been listed above but, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Public Health Technology
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Dentistry and Dental Surgery
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Veterinary Medicine
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Nutrition and Dietetics – Medicine
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Physiology
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Physiotherapy
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Anatomy
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combination for Medical Rehabilitation
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Medicine and Surgery