O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for English Language; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
The admission requirement to study English Language in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for English Language?
The subjects needed to study the English Language in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for English Language must include:
- Literature in English
- English Language.
- A trade subject
English as a language we would recognise today was first spoken in early medieval times and is now one of the most spoken on earth. You get to read novels and poems instead of textbooks and reports. If you’re someone who spends their summers with their nose in a book or writing short stories, you already know this is for you. And of course there is more to English than just reading your favourite books, and if you’ve never read anything more complex than Harry Potter then you may want to expand your mind. Analysing takes brainpower. English is more than crusty old volumes of Chaucer and Shakespeare. There will be an opportunity to study modern literature, theatre, film, or even do a bit of creative writing yourself. It’s a malleable degree.
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subject needed) for English Language?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for English Language is
- One other Arts subject
- Another Arts or Social Science subject
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study English Language?
Two ‘A’ level passes to include Lit.-in-English and one other Art subject.
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for English Language, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate. Do you know which Universities in Nigeria offer English Language?
List of Nigeria Universities offering English Language include:
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Augustine University Click to read conditions
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) Click to read conditions
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo (with options in i) English Studies ii) Communication iii) Literacy Studies
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- Bowen University, Iwo
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City Click to read conditions
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji (with options in Literature)
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) (with Literature)
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Click to read conditions
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) Click to read conditions
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil Click to read conditions
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa Click to read conditions
- Sokoto State University
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- University of Uyo
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) Click to read conditions
Where can I work with a Degree in English Language?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study English Language. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating. Despite its reputation and lack of obvious career pathways English graduates have strong prospects, and there are a lot of applicable and relevant jobs. Job areas English students include an editorial assistant, english teacher either at a home or foreign school, lexicographer, journalist, author, librarian, advertising etc.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study English Language have been listed above but, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check
, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.