O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Petroleum Engineering; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
- JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty/School/College of Engineering/Environmental/Technology.
- Probable Degree type – [B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc.]
The admission requirement to study Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for Petroleum Engineering?
The subjects needed to study Petroleum Engineering in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Petroleum Engineering must include
- Mathematics If you don’t have credit in Mathematics, Click here fast
- English Language
- One Science subject
- A trade subject
Before you consider the JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for this course, it is good you know what this course is all about. Petroleum engineering is an engineering discipline concerned with the activities related to the production of hydrocarbons, which can be either crude oil or natural gas. Subsurface activities are deemed to fall within the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry, which are the activities of finding and producing hydrocarbons.
Students will learn about petroleum geology and geophysics which focus on provision of a static description of the hydrocarbon reservoir rock, while petroleum engineering focuses on estimation of the recoverable volume of this resource using a detailed understanding of the physical behaviour of oil, water and gas within porous rock at very high pressure. The duration of the course is four/five years and it may be offered by some certain institutes on correspondence basis as well. After the completion of the course the candidates are given lot of job opportunities in petroleum sector.
Please note this
- If you want to pursue a career in petroleum engineering you should be aware about that the job of a petroleum engineer is not restricted to air-conditioned offices. Most petroleum engineers have to work in the fields except those who are responsible for analyzing the reports and recommending the field engineers and advising corporate decision-makers on whether to proceed or not. Therefore, the field engineers should have to be mentally as well as physically strong enough to endure long-distance travel, long stays and to bear uncertain weather conditions. Besides, petroleum engineers have to work with a team of geologists and contractors, which is why they should also possess strong and effective communication skills.
- Petroleum Engineers search the world for reservoirs containing oil and natural gas. On discovery of these resources they communicate with geologists and other specialists to understand the geologic formation and properties of the rock containing the reservoir, determine the drilling methods to be uses, and monitor drilling and production operations.
- Petroleum Engineers design equipment and processes to achieve maximum and profitable recovery of oil and gas. They rely heavily on computer models to simulate reservoir performance using different recovery techniques.
- Also graduates can go for their Masters’ degree for teaching purposes.
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects needed) for Petroleum Engineering?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for Petroleum Engineering are
- Mathematics If you don’t have credit in Mathematics, Click here fast
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study Petroleum Engineering?
‘A’ level passes must include Physics or Chemistry, and Mathematics
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for Petroleum Engineering, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate. Do you know which Universities in Nigeria offer Petroleum Engineering?
Before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
See useful guides on how to choose a course and university
List of Nigeria Universities offering Petroleum Engineering include
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Covenant University Ota
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) with options in: (i) Drilling & Exploration Engr. Technology. (ii) Reservoir Eng. Tech. (iii) Natural Eng. Tech. (iv) Petroleum Production Eng.
- University of Ibadan (UI) Click to read conditions
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Madonna University, Okija
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH) Click to read conditions
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- University of Uyo
Where can I work with a Degree in Petroleum Engineering?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Petroleum Engineering. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating.
Petroleum Engineering Job Types
- Engineering Assistant
- Sr. Application Sales Engineering-Chemicals
- Design Engineer-Civil/ Structural
- Technical Project Manager-Petroleum & Reservoir
- Manager-Petrol Pump
- Junior Engineering Assistant-Instrumentation
- Engineer Trainee
- Finance Executive & Operator
- Customer Support Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Sales and Marketing Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Trainee Engineer-Process
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Petroleum Engineering have been listed above. Yet, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.