O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Guidance and Counselling including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
- JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty of Education.
- Probable Degree type – [B. ED/B.A.(Educ.)/B.Sc. (Educ.)/B.Ed. (Tech)]
The admission requirement to study Guidance and Counselling in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for Guidance and Counselling?
The subjects needed to study Criminology in WAEC must contain five (5) credit/ TC II merit passes . This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Guidance and Counsellin must include
- English Language
- At least a pass in Mathematics
- A Trade subject
Counselling is a type of talking therapy that allows a person to talk about their problems and feelings in a confidential and dependable environment. A counsellor is trained to listen with empathy and to understand the problems of the patient. They try to help deal with any negative thoughts and feelings. Counselling is good for those who want to study a medical subject, but who can’t quite carry out the cold, professional distance needed to be a doctor or nurse.
This is a profession where the means and methods of study and care are constantly changing and evolving. Therapeutic models are constantly being researched and improved, and you can be at the forefront. This course provides a balance between academic work, skills development, professional practice, and individual personal development and self-awareness.
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects needed) for Guidance and Counselling?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for Guidance and Counselling are
- Any three subjects.
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study Guidance and Counselling?
‘A’ level passes or NCE in two subjects plus UTME requirements.
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for Guidance and Counselling, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate. Do you know which Universities in Nigeria offer Guidance and Counselling?
Before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
See useful guides on how to choose a course and university
List of Nigeria Universities offering Guidance and Counselling are
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Adeyemi College of Education
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) Click to read conditions
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki Click to read conditions
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal College of Education, Pankshin
- Federal College of Education, Okene
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni
- University of Ibadan (UI) Click to read conditions
- College of Education, Ikere Ekiti
- Osun State College of Education, Ila-Orangun
- Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Moforiji
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED) ( with options listed in Educ. Mgt.)
- Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo State
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) Click to read conditions
- Kwara State College of education, Ilorin (KWCOED)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nwafor Orizu College of Education in Nsugbe, Anambra State
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Federal College of Education (special) Oyo
- St. Augustine College of Education, Lagos State B.ED
- Sokoto State University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Ekiti State University
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- The University of Uyo,
- Veritas University, Abuja Click to read conditions
Where can I work with a Degree in Guidance and Counselling?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Guidance and Counselling. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating.
- Counselling degrees teach students transferable skills, such as presentation, research and communication, as well as a good personal understanding and empathetic mindset, plus the ability to work in complex situations.
- Particular job areas, as well as counselling, include careers adviser, tutoring, nursing, psychologist, probation or prison officer, social work, and youth work.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Guidance and Counselling have been listed above. Yet, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check
, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.